Barbara E Lewis is an International Award Winning Artist
Specialising in traditional equine art
Barbara is primarily a commission artist. She works closely with her clients in order to ensure the resulting artwork reflects what the owner wishes to see.
"My strength as an artist is my drawing skills. I abhor the use of tracing, projecting, light boxes and computers in art, which is now all too common. You could say that my point of difference as an artist is the fact that I can actually draw! Which is a pretty sad commentary on the state of things if you ask me, but there you have it."
Photos and other reference materials that are not of a high standard are no barrier to the production of an exceptional piece of art. However, if all you need or want is a well-priced study from a single photograph, that is available too.
- winner of the 2009 and 2010 Leonard J Meiselman Award for Painting and the2010 Jean Bowman Award for Painting at the American Academy of Equine Art's Fall Juried Exhibitions
- finalist in the inaugural Inglis Equine Art Prize 2011
- an artist with over 20 years experience in producing top quality equine art
- traditional equine portraits in oils on canvas
- equine (horse) art a specialty
Equine artist Barbara E. Lewis has a long time association with the thoroughbred racing industry in New Zealand, having made this her main (but not exclusive) focus for over 21 years as an artist specialising in portraits of horses. The artist is renowned for the accuracy of her equine art work and her ability to capture the essence and character of her subjects with detail and precision. The Auckland Racing Club (14 Derby winners), and Henrietta, the dowager Duchess of Bedford are among her clients.
Oil on linen 14"x18"